Random Things Post

So, I've been tagged a million times to do this silly thing via blogs and facebook, so I thought I'd succumb to the peer pressure and finally give in. Only thing is, I want to change it up a bit and start a new round for everyone to pass on . Rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 100 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 100 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you. A LOT more about you. And you HAVE to do everything just as I said. Otherwise, how will this catch on as a new trend? :)
So prepare yourself for an incredibly lengthy post about me...
1. I was Angela Lansbury for a birthday party one year when I was seven. That’s right—the old woman from Murder She Wrote.
2. I got shingles when I was 16. Apparently, my dormant chicken pox couldn’t wait till a normal age to surface. The doctor said I was one of the youngest cases he had ever seen. Thanks doc. Feel more like a freak than ever.
3. I used to collect trolls. The final headcount ended at 113. They are no longer displayed on shelves proudly for all to see though. They are currently crammed into a big box.
4. I went to the national competition for Odyssey of the Mind when I was in 6th or 7th grade. Let’s just say it’s no surprise we ranked 3rd to last in our section with my amazing performance as a female rhinoceros!
5. I am an anti-bowtite. That’s right—I am against all forms of bowtie pasta. The texture grosses me out. Ew.

6. I won an actual trophy for typing in the sixth grade. Thanks to Mr. Lundgreen, I have a beautiful addition to my collection of 5, declaring me the fastest typer at 96 wpm. Sad thing is, it’s my biggest one.
7. I won my elementary school’s spelling bee with the word havoc. I took 13th place at state, losing on the word equation. Dang those pronunciators.
8. Most of the guys who asked me to dances my freshman year of college were 3 inches shorter than me OR MORE. What’s that about?
9. I am the most movie illiterate person you will ever meet. Literally. Especially when it comes to the old classics. Tony still wonders how he married a girl who hasn’t seen all the Star Wars movies. Goonies, Willow, Newsies, Pippi Longstocking, and many more are still a mystery to me.
10. I took oboe in sixth grade because I thought it was “cool.” Found out I was wrong. Six months later, I abandoned the oboe. Sorry to all of you oboists out there.

11. I won 1st place in my middle school’s girl’s archery competition. You don’t ever want to meet me in a dark alley with a bow and quiver!
12. My favorite word in the Italian language is “scacciamosca” which means “flyswatter.” Ironically, I really do hate flies.
13. I have a weird affinity for cards. Especially random, weird, or funny ones. I think it’s a genetic trait, because both my grandma and my mother are card-a-holics. Tony does not possess the same love or understanding for them. I remember my mom and I found a card that was shaped like a piece of bologna and on the inside it said “My bologna has a middle name—it’s Marie.” We laughed and laughed till we were crying in the store. I came home and showed it to Tony and he didn’t get it. Once I explained it to him, he just gave me a weird look and moved on. Go figure.
14. The first song I ever learned and that I still remember to this day is “Song of the South” by Alabama. I was four years old and hated sweet potato pie. Still do. Don’t know why I liked the song so much…
15. Some of the best times I had travelling through Europe were by myself. Turns out I am really fun company!

16. I once wanted to buy some donut-smelling perfume. Paints a nice visual of my physique as a child, doesn’t it?
17. I weigh 5-6 more pounds now than I did in the fifth grade. Sad. Thank goodness for growth spurts.
18. A spider crawled up my nose once while I was napping on the futon at the office above the deli. I woke up as it was crawling. I jumped up and started shrieking and freaking out, unable to talk. I just kept making weird faces and demanding tissue. I kept trying to blow my nose, but it was too far gone to be affected. So I tried swallowing, and it kept fighting not to go down. After about 5 minutes of this, I finally gulped it down and began crying. It literally was one of the MOST TRAUMATIC experiences of my life. Needless to say, I never even sit on the futon anymore, and am even more paranoid of spiders than I was before.
19. I’ve had plastic surgery. No, no enhancements or reductions or anything like that. I was in a bad car accident when I was eight years old which left my back shredded to bits. It took months of boiling out all of the debris, rocks, and glass from my back, limited mobility, lots and lots of stretchy clothes, and finally plastic surgery to get me back to normal. They had to take skin from my chest, my stomach, and my thighs and graft them over my back. Another reason I hate wearing swimsuits—all of my scars show. Although it’s MUCH better than the alternative—they thought I was going to be paralyzed.
20. I’ve been to 23 concerts. Apparently, not many people go to them. Or at least not many of my friends. A bunch of my friends have NEVER been to one concert, and the rest have been to maybe 3. That was something my family did, and that I still love doing now. Some of the concerts I’ve been to include Dave Matthews Band, Jack Johnson, Barenaked Ladies, Dashboard Confessional, Michael Buble, Michael Kelsey, Keith Urban, Rascal Flatts, Similar Opposition, and on and on. I’ve also been to 4 comedy shows, 4 Broadway plays, innumerable religious concerts, performances, plays, conferences, or holiday shows, so many museums I’ve lost count, 1 circus, 1 variety show, etc. etc.

21. Yellow is probably my favorite color right now. I got a really cute yellow purse for Christmas, and my favorite possession right now—a brand new pair of cute yellow shoes my mom gave me. For me, bright yellow is a neutral. It goes with everything!
22. I’ve had many nicknames throughout the years: missy, sis, angel baby, yogi, verny seegrits, marni-o, marn-dawg, mymo, MJ, marnilicious, barney, and the most current—sister geeky. All very flattering.
23. I got married at the same time, at the same place, on the same day as my parents only 27 years later.
24. I can work with my husband on anything or in any situation, and generally the combination of us both working on something brings the best results. A lot of my friends ask how we do it, saying that they could never work with their spouses because they’d go crazy. That surprises me. Although my parents worked together their whole lives in their business, so I had good role models and grew up thinking that was normal. Looks like Tony and I are on the path to doing the same.
25. I have co-owned a business for 4 years this April. Can’t believe it sometimes. And I still have to say that Gandolfo’s sandwiches beat any other sandwich place out there in taste.

26. I have 135 religious songs on my iPod. One of my young women saw that and thought that was unheard of. She asked if I had anything else on my iPod. Kids these days… What can I say? I love church music.
27. One of my favorite things to do is to drive the Blubabe around with music blaring. Something about that makes me happy.
28. I love quail. Watching them run around is my favorite. Sometimes I have to induce this by chasing after them. Tony loves that. What can I say? I’m a bird woman just like my mom.
29. I love to reverse-engineer things. I love to look at something, make up my own way to recreate it, and then put my own spin on it. I get that from my dad.
30. I love to quilt. I’m talking LOVE. Sewing in general is a stress reliever for me. People always say I’m like a 70-year-old trapped in a 24-year-old’s body. I think it’s a genetic trait though. I come from a long line of seamstresses.

31. I’m one of those people who, when I find something I like, I buy it/make it/use it over and over again. That goes for clothes, foods, patterns, colors, etc. I blame my OCD tendencies for that.
32. I love watching or reading whole series of things. When I was young, I loved reading the Goosebumps, Babysitters Club, BoxCar Children, and American Girl series. Since I’ve gotten older, I like to watch TV series like Lost, Gilmore Girls, Friends, and Seinfeld. I really like following something from beginning to end.
33. I have been on a lot of councils throughout my life. Stake Youth Council, City Youth Council, Seminary Council, Ward Council, etc. etc.
34. I love spicy foods, but not hot ones. When I say spicy, I mean foods made with spices like ginger, clove, pumpkin, or cinnamon. My favorite flavors of ice cream are pumpkin, gingerbread, or cinnamon. That goes for breads, pies, cookies, rolls, etc. etc. I love anything that involves those spices; that goes for potpourri too.
35. I’ve been dumpster-diving.

36. I’ve crashed an O-Town concert as a pretend crazed fan.
37. I’ve been on a freaky airboat ride through the Florida wetlands. Thanks to Tali and Joelle for all three of those things.
38. I hate violence towards women. Especially in the movies or on TV.
39. I hate when people blame the media for problems in society. Media sources like TV, the internet, radio, newspapers, magazines, etc. are NOT responsible for society’s problems. They are not to blame. It’s the people who use these mediums to promote negative morals/standards or use them for negative purposes that we should despise/blame. You can thank the BYU advertising program for that little soapbox.
40. I am the first college graduate in my family.

41. I am the only girl and the youngest in my family.
42. I prefer white chocolate to milk chocolate. Thanks Brooke.
43. I (along with Tony) am a Broncos fan. Born and raised. In fact, in high school I had a life-sized cutout of Terrell Davis, my hero and crush at the time.
44. I have a list of businesses I would like to someday own. We’ll see if any of them ever come to fruition.
45. I can still remember a little French from my high school days. My boss at the Willow asked if anyone knew the French word for cheese and I did. Fromage. I even spelled it out for her. Take that, A-.

46. ...
47. ...
48. ...
49. ...
50.
...

Okay, okay. I only made it to 45. Tony told me I should freak everybody out and say I was going to do 100 (actually he said 1000, but that was too unrealistic to work), and then tell everyone that they had to do the same and tag that many people. He thought it would be funny to give everybody a good scare and a big annoyance. Did it work? Yes? (no) Good thing I stopped then, so you’re off the hook. I can’t imagine the cursing I would have gotten if I had kept going and finished…! Actually, I don't think I could have. I'm already bored of myself. Now we don't have to be bored of you either! J/k. We’re so funny aren’t we…?! ( not...)

Anyways, hope you enjoyed those silly tidbits. Tony is going to do his own for you later. Oh, and we’re not tagging people either. I hate that. (Hey…there’s #46!) Just wanted people to stop tagging me and share some silly stuff about myself. Done and done. Tune in again later for Tony’s crazy list!

1 comments:

Kelsey Booth said...

Hey Marni, I saw your blog on Kirsta's and had to check it out. I love your mention of OM...what an adventure! It looks like you are doing well. Thanks for letting me spy on you :) - Kelsey Rabner Booth