Hugged by an Apostle!

I have to say that I've always been a little biased when it comes to the Twelve Apostles. Up until Elder Neal A. Maxwell passed away, he was the reigning favorite. Since that time, I have swayed back and forth between President Uchtdorf, President Packer, President Eyring, and Elder Holland. Last Saturday though, Elder Holland claimed the top spot.


We were lucky enough to have Elder Holland come to, preside over, and address our annual stake conference here in little ol' Spanish Fork. Tony and I were both looking forward to it, although we had both been very stressed as of late and were in semi-bad moods when the Saturday evening session came around. We had no idea what a treat we were in for because we were literally BLOWN AWAY. He was AMAZING! I have never heard an apostle speak like that. He said he wanted to put away his notes and just talk to us. He spoke more commonly, even joking at how non-apostolic the use of the word "stupid" was for him to say during a conference. He had us laughing one minute and crying the next. He encouraged us, uplifted us, comforted us, and bore one of the most powerful testimonies I've ever heard a person give. Here's just a little taste of what he said.


He said that he would not leave his wife, his children, his grandchildren, every single day for the rest of his life for a joke. This is not a fable; this is not a farse. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church on this earth. And he said that even with his last breath he will declare that Joseph saw the Father and the Son, and that Christ lives. Of these things he will not know more surely then than he does now.


I wish you all could have heard the conviction, the power, and the truth in his voice that night and again the next day. There is no doubt in my mind why he was called to be a "special witness."


Well, after his amazing talk on Saturday night, he lingered, and let all of us come up and shake his hand. So, Tony and I joined the throng and waited our turn in line. When we got up to him and he turned and looked me straight in the eyes, I just started to cry. He said "Awww!" with a big smile reached out and wrapped his arms around me. He hugged me so tight and said "I love you!" Through my tears I squeaked out "I love you too!" and laughed. He held me by the shoulders, looked me square in the eyes, and said "It's going to be okay. That's what this gospel is all about, right?" I smiled and said "Yes." I then had to keep moving so I didn't hold up the line, although I was hardly able to make out anyone else's face after that through my tears. It was such a small, fleeting moment, but it made such the difference to me.


I learned that night that Elder Holland is everything you think an apostle should be. He was loving, encouraging, uplifting, inspiring, comforting, easy-going, and funny too! (I wish I had time to tell you all of his jokes...) He was relatable, understanding, forgiving, and the example we all wanted to be like. And of course he bore such a powerful witness that the Spirit touched everyone in his presence. He even left a blessing upon us the next day at the close of the conference because he was so full of love and concern for us. He stayed with us, he let us come to him, and when you were with him, you felt not only his love, but the love of our Father in Heaven, as well as the Savior. I wish that every person on the planet could have been there for that Stake Conference, it was that incredible!


The Lord loves us. And He answers our prayers. Of those two things I am certain. I am so glad to be a member of this church. And I am so grateful for the chance we have to hear ALL of the apostles this weekend at General Conference. I love this time of year!

3 comments:

Mandi Wilson said...

Yay Marni, that is so cool! Elder Holland has always been Don's favorite apostle because he was able to hear him speak numerous times on his mission. I'm glad you had such a great stake conference!

Sara said...

Marni, Here is the blog I was telling you about. Hope you get a good laugh out of it. www.cakewrecks.blogspot.com

Jennifer Paganelli said...

what a great blog ..really like reading about you!!